Employment Guide For Domestic Workers
- A minimum wage of $6.15 a hour (in the state of Maryland, as of February 16, 2006)
- Payment for all hours worked
- Payment of wages in US dollars once every two weeks, or twice per month
- Overtime pay of 1.5 times your regular hourly wage for every extra hour you work over 40 hours in a week.
- All employers in Maryland who have one or more...
Hiring Domestic Couples
For some families, the ideal household staffing arrangement means hiring a domestic couple. Almost always married couples, the traditional roles of these positions have stayed constant over the years. Experienced in working together in fine homes or on estates, they work as a team. Customarily, they are live-in and the responsibilities are delineated by male and female roles.
The female duties include maintenance of the inside of the residence, including housekeeping, laundry, ironing, household errands and cooking. The male duties include all exterior maintenance of the property, the heavier housekeeping duties inside the residence, and some gardening and handyman duties. They may work as part of a larger domestic staff or be your primary household employees.
They should have an agreeable manner, a calm demeanor, the ability...
How to Hire a Laundress
A professional laundress will be familiar with luxury brands of clothing and linens as well as the fabric care products and tools required to care for them. For example, she will know how to use a rotary iron, a steamer, and other specialized equipment as well as be familiar with the brands and use of top quality laundry care products....