YOUR RIGHTS: How the Laws of the United States and Maryland Protect You Whether or not you have legal immigration status, you are protected by most federal and state labor laws. Almost all of these laws are the same for everyone, whether you are a citizen or you are here without papers. You do not have to accept lower wages because of your immigration status. Wages and Hours You are entitled to:
- A minimum wage of $6.15 a hour (in the state of Maryland, as of February 16, 2006)
- Payment for all hours worked
- Payment of wages in US dollars once every two weeks, or twice per month
- Overtime pay of 1.5 times your regular hourly wage for every extra hour you work over 40 hours in a week.
- All employers in Maryland who have one or more...